What happens if you are in a car accident and you have injuries, will the other driver’s insurance pay for your medical bills?

If you are injured in a car accident that is not your fault the other driver (usually through their insurance company) is responsible for your medical bills once the settlement has been finalized. In other words, the other driver’s insurance will pay your medical bills (assuming he or she has enough coverage), but not until all your treatment is over. This can take months, even years, depending on the complexities of your injuries and how long your medical treatment takes. During this time, you are responsible for your medical bills.

There are several ways for you to pay these medical bills, such as:

  • By using your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage through your auto insurance policy until exhausted.
  • By using your Personal Health Insurance, Medicare or Medicaid. Paying only what you owe after your insurance coverage. However, the at-fault driver should still be required to pay for the bills as part of the final settlement once an agreement is reached.
  • By using Medical Liens In Lieu Of Payment. Some providers will work with you if you have legal representation, by delaying the billing process and providing care while your case proceeds. Then they will get paid out of the proceeds of your settlement.

Subrogation After You Receive a Settlement

Once a settlement is agreed upon, the funds from the settlement are used to pay for all outstanding medical bills, as well as pay back costs your own insurance company has covered up to that point, in a process known as subrogation.

How An Attorney Can Help

The amount of a settlement you put in your pocket (your net), can be significantly affected by which bills you pay first, which bills you submit to health insurance, and which bills can wait until settlement. This involves strategy and careful negotiations with your car insurance company, health care providers, and health insurance companies.

Auto accident victims in Washington State are left to cover medical expenses until they can negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company, either on their own or with the assistance of a personal injury lawyer.

The Law Offices of Michael Clark can help you determine what needs to be done to help maximize your settlement and will help you build your case and communicate with the other driver’s insurance company.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, CONTACT US Today!